So,I am just not buying into this "organic fad." And that's seriously all that I think it is. The organic food that you buy, even though it has 1/3 the amount of pesticides as conventional crops, it still has them. Conventional crops actually have an advantage over organic food: "Man-made pesticides aren't the only threats to food safety. There is also the question of natural toxins produced by the plants themselves. In this arena, conventional foods may actually have the advantage." Because the pesticides get rid of all toxins and creepy crawlies, organic foods are much more likely to get the "natural toxins." I also read this: "These natural pesticides could be just as harmful to people -- or even more so -- than the synthetic pesticides used in conventional agriculture. One familiar example is solanine, a substance produced by potatoes as they turn green, which can make you ill if you ingest too much of it." And another thing.. E. Coli. Because organic crops are fertilized with manure, people are concerned about it raising the "risk of contamination by dangerous microbes like
E. coli." Conventional foods also have contaminates, probably just as much as organic foods. The last thing I'm going to say is this: at this point no one can say that organic is better for you. It's said to have higher levels of vitamen C, some minerals, and antioxidants, but those numbers are so small it probably isn't even doing any good. I'm definitely not dissing organic foods, nor am I say that you are an idiot for spending the money on it or thinking it's better. I'm just simply saying that I don't understand all the hype about it. I'm sure any one of you (and by that I mean any of my 7 followers) could go look up a page that says something completely different than the pages I read; and you could find something that told me how great and better organic foods are (and if you want to you can, and I will read it). But the POINT IS, you can never know; because most all people know is only what they read. So I'm definitely not going to be spending extra money to get something with an ORGANIC label. Again, I just want to emphasize the fact that I don't think organic foods are wrong, and I don't think there is no reason for them. I have been trying to learn a lot about organic foods and conventional foods (that's what the website is calling it). So if you'd like to educate me you can.
If you'd like to read more about this you can click right
here.
I'll leave you with this (because I found it amusing).
"The organic farmers talk about the soil being more alive on organic farms than conventional farms. That life isn't just insects and worms; it's loaded with bacteria."
No comments:
Post a Comment