Saturday, October 24, 2009

I Think It's About Time

So I think it's about time I blogged about this.. When I was pregnant, my entire first trimester and half of my second I experienced severe morning (all day) sickness. I would puke about 4 or 5 times a day, and maybe 2-3 times on a good day. Even the thought of eating any food made me sick. Bobby (or anyone actually) couldn't touch me without me gagging and more times than not puking. I had to stop using my cell phone because even the thought of it made me puke. Crazy huh? Even when I had absolutely nothing in me, I still puked. Water wouldn't even stay down! And showering, pssh, I didn't know such a word.. Gross, I know.. I lost AT LEAST 15 pounds in my first trimester, I'm not positive how much exactly. I figured it was normal, or that it was just all in my head. I went the Urgent Care before my first doctor's appointment and they told me they could prescribe an anti-naseau medicine, but if it didn't work they couldn't do anything else for me.

AWESOME! Right?

So I finally started feeling better, sort of.. I would still randomly puke but it definitely got better. And then I had a 9 pound 15 ounce baby and everything was fine. Then my lovely sister got pregnant and started going through the same thing I was. Since she's obviously way smarter than me, she went straight to the ER (despite me telling her there was nothing they would do for her), and what do you know she gets diagnosed with a disease. Not that I am not exremely happy that she got the highest of all anti-naseau medicines and it is sort of helping her (not really), but I am pretty upset with the Urgent Care for prescribing me normal morning sickness medicine and sending poor little ol' me (yes, I am going to feel sorry for myself) back home to puke again.

The disease is called Hyperemesis Gravidarum. "Hyperemesis gravidarum is," and I am quoting wikipedia, "a severe form of morning sickness, with unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids.Hyperemesis is considered a rare complication of pregnancy but, because nausea and vomiting during pregnancy exist on a continuum, there is often not a good diagnosis between common morning sickness and hyperemesis. Estimates of the percentage of pregnant women afflicted range from 0.3% to 2%." .3 to 2%!! Even though I was not diagnosed with this, I know I had it. It says that women with HG usually can't stand not being able to care for themselves nor anyone else, like their family, that it can lead to divorce or even abortion! And there's an actual foundation for it.. Hyperemesis Education and Research Foundation (HER)

Maybe I will rethink reproducing again...

And I would just like to say to the doctors and nurses at the Urgent Care by my home.. SCREW YOU!! Not just for this, but for other reasons as well.. but that could turn into a whole other blog post..

Sooo..

That's all..

No comments: