We are loving the warm weather we've had here lately, with the exception of today, it's cold and rainy! But oh well, I'm not gonna complain! We've been spending a TON of time at the 13 acres of land my parents purchased last Fall. It's about a 1 1/2 minute drive from our house. Rory and I walked there and it took up maybe 5-6 minutes, ha. And since there is no plumbing or anything out there it's not to live so close if you've gotta pee!
I just bought some news toys from Amazon this passed week for the kids and some new drawers to keep everything in. I like to have everything out where they can get to it easily; that way I'm not constantly putting things up and getting new things out for them to play with. We have three sets of drawers in the living room (nearly) filled with all sorts of learning toys. When Bobby and I first decided we were homeschooling the kids last December I researched my butt off trying to find the best way for our family to do it. I looked up all the curriculums, all the crap that you were "supposed" to have as a homeschooling family, and I hated all of it. Nothing ever really seemed right, just taking a regular school setting and using it in our house. That's no fun. School is no fun. So Bobby and I have decided we are UNSCHOOLING. It may sound ridiculous, and I avoided this term every time I saw it when I was researching homeschooling. Until I came upon this blog about a month ago, and the woman on there just explained it in a way that completely had me hooked. I knew I didn't want our kids spending 6-7 hours, 5 days a week in a classroom, bored out of their FREAKIN' MINDS. I know I was always, always, always bored at school. And not because I was super smart and bored of what I was learning because it was just so easy, but because school is boring. Plain and simple. I want my kids to love learning, I want them to know how to teach themselves and learn new things on their own, when they want to and how they want to. I don't want to make them sit down at home and be forced to learn how to do something just because that's what our Indiana school system tells us that's what they're supposed to know. If they aren't going to be in traditional school, I don't see why they have to learn certain things at a certain time, in a traditional way. There's no point. At first it made me nervous, "child led learning." What kind of a child wants to learn?! Well all of them do! Most of us just don't see it that way, because most children are forced to sit in a classroom and listen to a teacher drone on and on and on about BORING things. It ruins learning for them. School literally sucks all the fun out of learning. I love learning new things, now that I can do it on my own. I'm constantly learning new things about nutrition for our family, new information about car seats, and all the other things I have interests in. I use the internet most of time, library books sometimes, and other times I ask Bobby (because he knows a lot about a lot), or I ask other people. So I have complete faith that my children can learn everything they need to know just like I do, and just like most other adults do. I don't remember much of anything I learned in school, I remembered what I needed to, to get by, and then forgot it all. If they decid they want to go to college, or high school even, I won't have a problem letting them do that. I'd love for them to go to college! If that's what they want to do. I went to a community college for a year and it was a completely waste of money and time. I had no idea what I wanted to do or why I was even there. Ha.
Anyway.... I didn't plan on typing that much about it, ha.
Yesterday Marley, after playing with this skeleton toy with all the body parts and organs inside for you take out, started asking me how we grow our skeletons. I tried to explain to her that you grow everything when you're in your mommy's belly. Then she asked how I grew my skeleton, I told her in Mam Maw's belly and she kept going back and back to GG in her mommy's belly and then she was confused. She wanted to know how and where the first person started. Try explaining evolution to a 5 year old. It's not easy. We watched some animated youtube videos about it. I'm not sure what she understood from it but it seemed to satisfy her questions. And today we learned about rainbows after reading a Lalaloopsy book about searching for the end of a rainbow.
We found out on Saturday that Rory can roll her belly, you know, suck in and out and make a wave? It's HILARIOUS. She was shirtless out by the creek on The Land with Aunty and Uncle Shaun and just randomly found out she could do it, so she was showing everyone.
Zac is a talking fool. He loves to talk. And you can even understand about 50% of what he says! Ha. He says a few sentences here and there, he points at things, too, while he is talking about them, which really helps me figure out what he's talking about lol. Still not potty trained, but the other day he walked up to the toilet, said he had to go potty, took off all his clothes, sat down, and did nothing. Haha. He just likes to flush it! He's also been coming into our bed in the middle of the night. Part of me wants to put him in a toddler bed so he can get up by himself and come into our room when he wakes up, but a bigger part of me loves that he is trapped in there. Ha! I know it sounds awful. I'm just afraid to ruin the fact that he falls asleep in his own bed and then comes to our room. I like time with Bobby and we like to watch TV other than Power Rangers and My Little Pony. We brought the futon mattress on the floor in our room because even in our king sized bed, five people is just too much.
Bobby is moving up at his job at Midwest. He loves what he does and he loves the people he works with. And the people he works with really like him too! He might soon be moving to the office just south of Indy, which won't be fun to pay for in gas every day, but oh well. We will some how manage.
About.. 2 months ago, I started seeing a personal train once a week to get in shape. I obviously wasn't doing a good job on my own. ha! I go in, and he makes me do things I don't want to do, and it sucks, but I always feel good about it afterward, lol. I have muscles popping up everywhere! And I've lost 12 or so pounds. The plan was to lose 20 by the end of May when we go to Florida, but I'm not sure I will accomplish that goal, ha. But maybe. I started my seeds inside yesterday. I gave Marley a couple of her own containers that she planted, I think, watermelon, snap peas, peppers, ... and I can't remember what else. I planted broccoli, peppers, zucchini, butternut squash, lettuce, snap peas, pea pods, and a few others I can't remember. I try to plant what we usually eat plus a couple things I want to try to eat more of. I also got a blueberry and raspberry bush and I'm wanting to make a terrarium with the girls, too. My mom, Kristina, and I are going to start some pallet gardens out at The Land.
Anyway, here's some pictures!

































No comments:
Post a Comment